Many of our students have difficulties with communication, either because they find it difficult to speak, they have no need to communicate, or they find it a challenge to read social language and situations. At Coppice, we are committed to ensuring that every student is given the equipment and opportunity to learn appropriate communication skills. To support this, we have certain key staff who specialise in communication as well as providing training for all staff to reach a suitable level of skill in working with students who have communication difficulties.
We have strong links with the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT):
• Karl Bower is a clinical specialist and heads the Doncaster Children’s SALT Service. He works mainly with students in lower school and is in school on a Tuesday.
You can contact any of the SALT team via Coppice School, or they can be contacted via their base at Chequer Road Clinic, 01302 347429
For more information about communication systems used in school, please contact the school or visit the links to websites below which may be of interest:
• www.makaton.org – is a charity which provides information and resources about the Makaton signing and symbol system. There are a range of resources to buy, but also some free downloads.
• www.ican.org.uk – is a charity which specialises in supporting children who have SLCN (Speech, Language and Communication Needs) both in special school and in mainstream settings. The website provides information and links to specialist areas relating to SLCN.
• www.talkingpoint.org.uk – is designed for parents and offers help and advice on spotting SLCN and resources and opportunities to develop children’s speech, language and communication skills.
• www.wordsforlife.org.uk – is a website dedicated to supporting communication and language. There is lots of information about language development, and plenty of free resources, often themed around children’s TV characters, which you can share with your child.
• www.literacytrust.org.uk – is a website dedicated to promoting literacy skills. Ideal if your child is developing reading and writing skills.